Monday, January 07, 2008

Thank You to Bank of America!

This morning, I received a telephone call from Bank of America stating they noticed possible fraudulent charges on my credit card. The call came from an automatic system, which made me a little nervous. Instead of giving my life data to the machine, I hung up and called BOA directly. After a brief wait, I was able to speak to customer service. After explaining the story, I was promptly transferred to the fraud department. After another short wait (less than 5 minutes), I was greeted by Julie C. I quickly explained the story to Julie and she let me know that they did have an automated system and that it did try to call me this morning. She looked at my account to verify that one charge appeared fradulent (It was a "test" charge for $9.22 from DIRECTPO). She then told me that they saw another charge yesterday for $890.00 coming in from a hotel/restaurant in Mexico. After verifying that I had not made either purchase, Julie informed me that she was going to close the account immediately and issue new cards. When I asked how long it would take to get the new cards, she told me that it would take 5-7 business days. I asked her if there was a faster method as I plan to travel early next week. She told me that she could ship them overnight. She then informed me that I would not be held responsible for the charges and reminded me to update my credit card information with places that might have it on file. She also let me know that all of my present charges would move to the new account and that my rewards program would also be updated.

In a day when customer service seems to be at a premium and hard to find, I would like to thank Bank of America and Julie C for the prompt attention and quick resolution to my problem.

While on the call, I was logged into my account verifying the information against Microsoft Money (I have used Money for a little over 6 years now). As soon as she told me the account was closed, I hit the refresh button and it had already been removed from my online accounts. Prompt and friendly. I then proceeded the shred my compromised credit card (BTW, I have had that credit card for more than 6 years and have not had one issue with it).

Let's see if the new cards make it by tomorrow... =)

No comments: