Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Inbox = Zero

For some time now, I have been trying to implement the "Getting Things Done" strategy from David Allen. It has been hit and miss for the most part. Lately though, I have been making major improvements to my system and feel that I am getting a better handle on the "stuff" that I need to get done (Home... Work... Church...). At the beginning of the year, I typed up a one page document that I now have posted above my monitor. It is my daily reminder to spend time with God, exercise and get things done. I believe these are the main three areas that I want to grow in this year (They also have major implications beyond their surface value).

Today is a milestone in my GTD development. I have successfully emptied my work email inbox. With the use of reminders, folders and a project tracking log, I have been able to get everything out of the inbox and know that it will get done because I trust my system. For a long time, I have been able to keep the inbox under 25 items, but my new goal is 0.

Personal productivity is a huge topic on the web these days. Being able to balance life and work is increasingly difficult for many people (including me). Being able to gain control and set priorities is crucial to the balancing act. Being productive and not missing goals does not come naturally, it takes work, focus and energy.

In the end, I pray that my efforts are not for personal gain. I desire to grow and be successful in what I do. I believe that the reason and motivation make the difference though. I do not strive to build an empire for myself. I want to glorify God in all things.- This is my motivation!

No comments: