Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hacking the MyBook World Edition II

I recently purchased a 1Tb Western Digital MyBook World Edition II NAS (Wow, that is a mouth full). For some odd reason, I was not immediately content with the drive and wanted to play around with it. I began searching and stumbed upon http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/. As a result of this webpage, and some poking, my Linux skills have been rekindled. It has been so long since I did anything with Linux.

I am finalizing my setup of the drive and plan to use it as the central storage device for my network (So I do not need to run from computer to computer trying to find a file). One of the neat features is that I can connect a non-network external hard drive to this device using USB. I plan to set up my network so all computers backup to the NAS and then the NAS can backup to my external hard drive. After running the backup (At some specified interval), I can take the external drive and put it in my fire proof safe!

Protecting data is very important... If you do not regularly backup your data, you should consider doing it. It is a terrible feeling when you lose important work or digital pictures.

No comments: